This comprehensive teacher’s manual focuses on the Armenian Genocide of 1915 during which 1.5 million Armenians, half of the Armenian population, were systematically annihilated. It includes a 1-day, 2-day, and 10-day unit with all the materials teachers will need, including more than two dozen overheads, interactive classroom exercises and more.
Discussions include a wide range of topics related to the Armenian Genocide: the history of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire, primary source documents, witness and survivor memoirs, maps and political-economic timelines, and the problem of denial.
The lessons also consider the links between the Armenian Genocide and the Holocaust, and capture other major human rights violations such as the Transatlantic Slave Trade, the Rape of Nanking, and the Cambodian and Rwandan genocides.
- Comprehensive 1-Day, 2-Day, and 10-Day Lesson Plans for 10th Grade Public School Teachers.
- Includes all supporting material – 209 pages
- Fulfills mandated requirements in the History-Social Science Framework for California Public Schools.
- Sponsored by the San Francisco Unified School District Office of Curriculum Improvement and Professional Development.
SECTION 1: Background for Educators
- Teaching The Armenian
- Genocide: Using this Curriculum
- Necessary Supplies
SECTION 2: Two-Day Unit
- 5 Minute Video
- Brief History of the Armenian Genocide
- Primary Sources
- Hitler’s Quote
- United Nations’ Definition of Genocide
- Comparative Genocide Chart
- Download for Free
SECTION 3: Ten-Day Unit – Part I (Day 1-3)
- Primary Source Reading
- Discussion of the UN definition of genocide and Declaration of Human Rights
SECTION 4: Ten-Day Unit – Part II (Day 4-7)
- Causes of the Armenian Genocide
- A look at genocide and human rights abuses throughout history
- Timeline Activity
- Readings and Questions
SECTION 5: Ten-Day Unit – Part III (Day 8-10)
- A discussion on denial
- Mock Trial
- Wrap-up roundtable discussion
- Portfolio and Reflection Paper
SECTION 6: Additional Teaching Material
- One-Day Lesson Plan
- Forgotten Fire – Teacher’s Guide
SECTION 7: Resources
SECTION 8: Appendices
- Contact Information
- Teacher Feedback Form