|World History II Content Standards
Topic 4. The Great Wars, 1914-1945
Supporting Question: What were the causes and consequences of the 20th century’s two world wars?
(19) Analyze the political, social, economic, and cultural developments following World War I.
- the vast economic destruction resulting from the war
- the emergence of a “Lost Generation” in European countries
- the collapse of the Russian, Ottoman, and Austrian Empires
- the modernization of Turkey under President Kemal Atatürk
- the establishment of European mandates in the Middle East and the creation of modern state boundaries in the region
- the Armenian genocide
- the proceedings of the Paris Peace Conference and the Treaty of Versailles
- the global influenza pandemic of 1918-1920
- the development of modernism in the arts, in the works by composers, visual artists, writers, choreographers, and playwrights such as Igor Stravinsky, Pablo Picasso, Max Ernst, René Magritte, Gertrude Stein, Ruth St. Denis, Martha Graham, Bertolt Brecht, Luigi Pirandello